Friday, September 16, 2005

Last Words

I don't know what I can contribute at this point. I'm not going to make predictions, that'd be ridiculous when the only thing we know is that we don't know anything.

I've made up my mind on my party vote. I won't vote negatively, I can never bring myself to do that, so I looked at which party I had the most common ground with on the things that were most important to me, and I'm voting for them.

Candidate vote, well, I'm considering either not casting it, or taking my eight year old daughter into the booth with me and letting her cast it for me. It's irrelevant anyway. I took the time to look at where Mora stood on conscience issues, and he's diametrically opposed to what I believe in. In fact, I'm now somewhat concerned about his position on the Health Board and the council, given he doesn't believe that the rights of committed couples to marry and adopt children should be universal, and not based on sexual orientation. Of course, neither does Brash. One law for all, as long as you're straight.

The result? It's very difficult for anyone to get a third term in New Zealand. We all, no matter what else we believe in, like to think we believe in fair play. Watch National and Labour both characterise contradictory policies in terms of 'fairness'. So there's this urge in the fairly apolitical middle ground to 'let the other guy have a go now'.

But if there's anything the last six years have proved, it's that economic prosperity and social justice aren't mutally exclusive. In fact, if you look at the history of both the US and New Zealand since the 80s, the conclusion you'd come to is that higher tax = higher growth.

But this is the time to back off from the specifics, take a deep breath, and look at the big picture. I can't do more than recommend this morning's blog from Russell Brown. From here on in, it's just uncork the merlot and cross my fingers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:21 pm  
Blogger Comrade_Tweek said...

In that case, why not give Tom Dowie (the Alliance Candidate) your vote, I am...at least you can say that you've held on to your principles and you're not voting for Jim...(heh...heh...)

3:22 pm  
Blogger Ghet said...

Last time round I DID give the Alliance candidate my vote, and when in the actual booth, I'll probably do that this time. I voted for Tom for Health Board so I should probably show some consistency.

4:12 pm  
Anonymous TP said...

OHHHHHH.. *WNATS TO KNOW WHAT GOT DELETED!*

Sounds good. I'm a bit stressed about it all - as they say "NO RIGHT TURN!" I'm voting for Jim still - I really liked what he said about housing and health and stuff....(I'm so fickle I listened to 10 minutes of a radio debate and thought that'll do) I just had to blank out some other stuff.

5:47 pm  
Blogger Ghet said...

LOL just spam, honey, it's okay. Nothing fun.

6:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i voted for tetaru emile.
nice guy. seems good on social issues. i heard he's gay.

7:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

11:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home