Monday, June 27, 2005

Nearly there, I swear

Turns out I still have some house-keeping stuff to do before I really start.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to vote. I don't do that. Well, okay, once I talked a guy into voting for MMP, in the car on the way to the polling booth. But I once dated him for two years, and he owed me. I'm just trying to work through my own indecision. See, what Idiot/Savant said today about voting for Jim makes a lot of sense. In fact, I couldn't have said it more identically. Tactically, voting for Jim actually kind of works. I just really, really don't want to do it. I want to be inspired to vote for something I want, without the nose-holding. That's what it's all about.

And in the 'why I care about what I do' post, I should have mentioned the health issues. After the birth of my second child, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Immune Disorder Syndrome, what used to be called Tapanui 'flu here. For six years, my partner stayed home and raised our kids because I was too ill to do so. Then we found our daughter was hearing impaired. So, this has meant solid years of dealing with waiting lists, idiotic medical "professionals", ORS funding, WINZ nazis, and the kind of 'concerned individuals' who call the cops every time they see a man in the park with a little girl. It's put us in the rather odd position of being well-educated but dirt-poor, and particularly aware of how full of crap that 'if you work hard you'll get ahead' line is.

span(ner in the works) has me intrigued. I seem to be rapidly acquiring a sort of refuge for ex-youth committee people. And if you had any idea what happened to Quentin Findlay I'd be really grateful to hear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Commie Mutant Traitor said...

Quentin is currently in Christchurch and standing for the Alliance (I'm not sure if he's an electorate candidate or list-only).

11:53 am  
Blogger Joe Hendren said...

When I first saw your blog I did wonder if you knew q...

He's in Christchurch, and not too far away from Sydenham :)

2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home